In my recent post, Strawberry Fields Forever, I mentioned this salad and how good it is, especially with the fresh strawberries. It’s wonderful as a side salad to accompany something light, such as pasta salad, roast chicken, quiche, etc., but is also great by itself for lunch – add some crusty bread and a glass of iced tea or white wine and you’re ready to go!
- 3 cups of mixed spring salad greens
- 1 3/4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup of sugar-coated pecans (recipe follows)
- 1/3 cup of bleu cheese, crumbled
- Balsamic vinegrette dressing, to taste (I like Newman’s Own Lighten Up Balsamic Vinagrette Dressing - this is a great bottled dressing, and all profits go to charity.)
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
Toss the salad greens, strawberries, pecans and bleu cheese crumbles. Place in serving bowls, add dressing and freshly ground black peper.
Sugar-Coated Pecans Recipe
These pecans are so easy to make, and are a great garnish for salads or just good to eat by themselves as a snack.
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups of pecan halves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tps ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
In a large bowl, beat egg white until foamy. Add the pecan halves, toss until coated. Add the sugar and cinnamon, toss to coat the pecans.
Arrange the pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until browned. Stir occasionally.
Bon appetit, and Eat, drink and be merry!