Here’s a fast and easy recipe for veggie/pasta soup. It takes no time to assemble and cook, looks cheerful (especially on a cold, dreary night) and tastes great. Perfect for when time is limited but you still want something “homemade.” Low in calories and fat as well! I like to serve this with garlic-cheese bread (recipe follows) or a salad.
Super Fast and Easy Vegetable-Pasta Soup
- 1 box (32 oz.) vegetable broth
- 1 cup medium pasta shells
- 1 package (12 oz.) frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cups potatoes O’Brien (can substitute hash browns)
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) undrained diced tomatoes (I like the ones with the green chilies)
- 1/3 cup diced onions
- 1 tps. dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tabasco or hot sauce to taste
Bring vegetable broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Garlic Cheese Bread
- Bread (I love to use the La Brea Three Cheese Semolina bread from Harris Teeter; Italian bread works well, too.)
- Butter or margarine
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Parmesan cheese
Spread the bread with the margarine or butter. Drizzle the olive oil over the bread, sprinkle with garlic salt to taste. Top with parmesan cheese. Broil in the oven (I use my toaster oven) until the bread is brown on the edges and bubbly in the middle.
Voila – a satisying and comforting, low-calorie, vegetarian meal that is *souper* easy to prepare. I think the Soup Nazi would approve. Bon appetit!
Yum…I love veggie pasta soup!
Pingback: Food of the Month, January 2012: Soup | Kel's Cafe of All Things Food