This refreshing and easy-to-make barley salad is great anytime during the year, but especially in the summer when there is an abundance of ripe tomatoes. In the winter, I just substitute romas or cherry tomatoes instead.
You can serve this at room temperature or chilled in the fridge for a couple of hours, depending on your preference. It works well as a side dish to your favorite protein or as a stand alone meal. Eliminate the feta for a vegan version of this tasty salad.
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- 8 to 10 mint leaves, finely chopped
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Bring the vegetable broth to a boil and add the barley and a little bit of salt. Reduce heat and cook until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes or so. Place the barley in a colander to drain any excess liquid.
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, mint leaves, onion and cucumbers.
Add the cooled barley, mixing well.
In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Pour the dressing over the barley mixture and mix well. Serve as is or chilled.