Fresh pineapples and avocados were on sale in several different grocery stores the other day – I think they were marking down these items after Cinco de Mayo. Whatever the reason, I was thrilled and decided to make a new salsa with said pineapple, avocado and tomatoes as the base. This stuff rocks – what a great and refreshing salsa that goes great with pork (and I imagine salmon or other fish), or by itself as a delicious and refreshing dip with tortilla chips.
I knew I had a hit on my hands the first time I made this salsa and left it on a counter at work — once my coworkers discovered it they told others they had to try it! I made it a week later when we were at the beach with a bunch of friends, again to many positive reviews. Don’t hesitate to take this to a pool party or picnic this summer — it won’t last long!
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, diced small
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced small
- ½ cup sweet onion, diced small (I used Vidalia, my favorite!)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh jalapeño pepper, chopped into tiny pieces (always remember use gloves when chopping hot peppers!)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 ripe (but firm) avocado, diced small
- Juice from one lime
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Hot sauce to taste (I used jalapeño sauce)
Place the pineapple, tomatoes, onions, garlic and jalapeño pepper in a large colander to drain off any extra juice. I put a paper towel on top and gently press it to get rid of excess moisture from the fruit, etc.
While that is draining, dice the avocado and sprinkle it with some of the lime juice to help it avoid turning brown.
Place the pineapple mixture, cilantro and avocados in a large bowl and blend well.
Add the rest of the lime juice, olive oil, lime juice salt and hot sauce. Stir together until blended.
Refrigerate in a covered bowl until ready to serve. As previously mentioned, this goes great with tortilla chips or as a topping for various types of fish.
Eat dink and be merry!
Follow Kel’s Café on Twitter at http://twitter.com/kelscafe